Thursday, January 31, 2013

DYI Laundry Detergent

As I am sure many of you do, when I go grocery shopping, I tend to buy most all off brand products. however, there are a few exceptions. I have always had to buy named brand laundry detergent and my husband has to have Heinz Ketchup. I know, we are a little goofy. I am picky about how my laundry smells. I am a Gain girl through and through. However, laundry detergent is very pricey. My friend, Jordan, invited me to a DIY party. I decided I would try and make my own laundry detergent knowing I probably would switch back to Gain. I am happy to say that I am extremely please with my DIY laundry detergent. It is very inexpensive and it does a fabulous job getting out stains. I have also noticed a difference when I wash my whites. I know many of my fellow bloggers also enjoy a good DIY product, so I thought I would share. It is SUPER easy to make and very affordable.  One batch lasts me about 3 months. Please see directions below.


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

1.  1 bar of Felsnapa soap
2. 1 cup of Borax
3. 1cup of Washing Soda
4. 5 gallon bucket

DIRECTIONS:
1.Boil a large pot of water on the stove.
2. Grate soap.
3. Add soap to boiling water (slowly)
4. Once soap has dissolved add borax and washing soda.
5. Continue to stir until dissolved.
6 Poor mixture to the 5 gallon gallon bucket and then fill it completely warm to hot water.
7. Stir while pouring
 8. Let sit for 24 hours.

I was told to use 1/3 cup of detergent for big loads. I tend to add a little bit more, but that is my personal preference.

I promise, you won't be disappointed.  :) Happy Washing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment